January 7, 2010

chemotheraphy

We just completed our first of many trips to MD Anderson, to begin a new clinical trial for my cancer. We flew in Monday morning, on a very nice jet. The trip was quick and very nice. Sarah and I were the only passengers, had no security lines to go through and enjoyed coffee and donuts during the trip. This is the best way to fly and such a blessing.

We spent all day Monday at the hospital, doing blood work and a PET scan. Everything takes so long, so being flexible and on no specific time schedule is the way to be. It was frustrating at times, but that is just the nature of the situation. We were going to get in for the PET scan 2 hours early, but because I had been chewing gum, I had to wait to begin the treatment! I didn't know that 'no eating or drinking' included gum. Now we know.

On Tuesday we met with the doctor and coordintator of the treatment. They were both very helpful and informative nice ladies. They told us that this trial is a 28 day cycle, and that I will be doing two cycles. During the cycles I will be doing a daily pill treatment at home and a weekly infusion at the hospital. I will be on two types of drugs Erlotinib (Tarceva) and Cetuximab (Erbitux). The Tarceva is the pill and the Erbitux is the infusion.

For the infusion, I was in a private room, getting the drug through an IV. Normally, this will be about a 3 hour process, but the first time it took 5 hours. Sarah was with me, working on the laptop and I was in and out of sleep while watching TV. Towards the end of the treatment I began having a mild reaction of shortness of breath and chills. They gave me oxygen to help with the difficulty breathing and after I was feeling well enough to leave it was 10:00pm.

It was nice to be able to stay with Sarah's friend, Jena, in their beautiful house. This made the trip more comfortable, since we had a great place to unwind and to sleep. Sarah was also able to meet up with one of her friends while I was having my scan, again thankful to have friends to be with during the stay.

So far, since I've been home, I have had headaches, am feeling tired and nauseous. These are all side effects of the Erbitux. I am keeping a log of everything, which I will report to Dr. Wheeler each week.

I am scheduled to go back for my infusions every Tuesday until the end of February. We do not know how we will get there each time, as the Corporate Angel Network is not always a guarentee for having a flight. As of now, there is no flight for next week, so we will either drive or pay for a very expensive pair of tickets. We know that God will always be providing for us, so we're not yet stressed about how it will all come together.

It will be interesting for Abbie and Asher to have us gone each week, but again, that will all work itself out. My parents are able to help with the kids, along with our dear friend Marjorie, and I know many of you will help us out with them too. We are already thankful for the many people that will help us get through these next 8 weeks.

Please pray for our family as we have a very challenging 2 months ahead of us. We are hopeful that these treatments will cause the tumors to stop growing, possibly even shrinking in size. It will be a long 8 weeks, with many changes and unknowns, but we know we will get through it. Pray for health for me, as I experience the effects of the treatment- the main one being the rash that is very likely to occur. Pray for Sarah as she will have a change in her work availability since she will be travelling with me most weeks. Pray for Abbie that she will understand why we are gone, and that it will not effect her emotionally. Pray for Asher that he will sleep well while being in so many different locations while we are gone. Pray that the flights will get worked out for the dates scheduled so far: 12th, 19th, 26th & Feb.2nd, that we will be able to contiune to travel with Corporate Angel Network for free.

We know that God is going to be our strength and provider through all of this, and we look forward to being able to give Him glory for all he has done! Thank you for your love and support.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

We are praying!! Thank you for updating us.

A said...

praying! we love you guys dearly!

dbruce said...

We're keeping all of you in our prayers. I'll check your care calendar and see how we can help--being in the Liberty area and not real close--but there may be something we can do from a distance.

summer time

summer time
(click on image)

Hawaii

Hawaii
click on image for hawaii pics