March 20, 2009

any where but here

As we know, the biopsy discovered cancer in the area of my right hyoid bone. The cancer is near the original site and and is located under my chin and tougue. This new revelation explains the pain and problems I have been having recently with speaking and eating. As we discussed the location of this new growth, along with seeing it on the CT scan, I was filled with the horrified feeling you get upon receiving bad news. For me, this was the worst possible news I could receive and the only area I did not want the cancer to return. A small bump on my head-no big deal; Caner in my lungs-no problem; The pain from cancer in my hip and sacrum-not fun but I can live with it; This new cancer in my hyoid/mouth/jaw is much larger than I thought (size of a quarter) and therefore has the potential for further damage to speaking and eating.

The doctor (ENT) , who specializes in head and neck cancer, shared different treatment options with us: Do nothing, radiation, or surgery. The doctor said a surgery would be 50 times more difficult than his original surgery...so, No to the way- surgery is not a viable option. And of course doing nothing will allow the cancer to grow. Radiation is the only logical option and in the doctors words, radiaiton will "stun it" and stop the cancer from growing for a while. So eventually it may reappear it this area just like it continues to do in my hip/sacrum area. Therefore radiation will buy me a few years without serious issues. I will start radiaiton treatment as soon as the doctors can develop a treatment plan.

1 comment:

A said...

My heart is breaking right now. By earthly standards I have no idea why this is happening to you. But we know that our Lord will be glorified through this and He is a sovereign, loving, good God. We will be praying for a miraculous total healing that we know only the Lord can provide. We will be praying for wisdom for the doctors and nurses caring for you James and that you, Sarah and the kids will continue to be glowing testimonies of the faithfulness and love of Christ. We love you guys so much and know the Lord is near your family working in ways we may never understand but know is for our good because we love God and are called according to His purposes. It's been and is continuing to be a testimony to see how this trial is almost immediately turned into praise and adoration to the Lord. Your family's obedience to the Lord at all costs is a blessing and I pray that I will show the same obedience as our family may go through trials.

Our love and prayers!

summer time

summer time
(click on image)

Hawaii

Hawaii
click on image for hawaii pics