March 23, 2009

a day in the life of a stay-at-home dad

Cancer has altered our lives in many ways. One of those ways is as a stay-at-home dad. As a young man, I never pictured my self in this role. Fortunately, I have a wife who has a job using her talents as a photographer. Often times she has a morning and afternoon photo shoot and if she is really ambitious she will meet with a friend after that.
Her absence leaves me plenty of time with Abbie and Asher. Saturday was one of those days. It began with our weekly ritual of "Daddy and Daughter Donut Day." I do this every week so Abbie has something special to look forward to with her dad (and its a nice excuse to eat a donut). After feeding the kids lunch, Abbie helped me measure all the ingredients to make bread-Do not be too impressed, the bread machine did most of the work.
Sarah returned home and we played outside on our swing set. I convinced Abbie that a paper machete Easter egg would be a fun project- it was an easy sell. It was very messy and fun. We will paint it after it dries. Abbie and I also spent time searching for The Littlest Pet Shop animals on eBay. We have been searching for the peacock, ostrich, and puffin...however, we lost all of the auctions. Sarah usually makes dinner but I made sandwiches out of the sourdough bread we made earlier. Donuts, lunch, naps, bread, playing outside, paper machete, searching for toys on eBay and even dinner...I think I have found my new profession.

1 comment:

Tom and Leah said...

you're a great dad. i love that you guys have a saturday morning tradition, your own little date. good modeling james.

summer time

summer time
(click on image)

Hawaii

Hawaii
click on image for hawaii pics