September 13, 2008

"...and he was limping because of his hip." Gen 32:31


This summer was an enjoyable summer excluding one continuous problem: I had royal pain in the acetabulum (ass-e-tab-u-lem). For all you human anatomy buffs, you know this refers to the cup-shaped socket of the hipbone, into which the head of the thighbone fits. The cancer in my left hip and sacrum has been problematic for more than 3 years and this problem has been especially evident these last five months. I have had my “normal” bone pain but recently I have been experiencing a “new” and excruciating nerve pain. The only relief from this nerve pain, outside of more drugs, is radiation. However, I have already received my limit of radiation treatment in this area. Therefire, my only option is Cyberknife radiosurgery. This is an advanced technology which delivers radiation in very precise beams of radiation.

I finally received this treatment a few weeks ago. Following my final treatment, I became unable to stand or bear any weight on my left leg. If I place even slightest pressure on my leg, there is an immediate and severe pain in my hip joint (groin area). I have inquired about a hip replacement and others have asked me about it as well. A hip replacement, common among senior citizens and athletes, would be the surest solution and fastest way to fix my hip pain. However, in my circumstance a hip replacement is not an option because there is no healthy bone to attach the false hip to. My only option is time. As the cancerous bone dies, the normal bone will repair and heal itself. This is why I have to stay off of it and this means crutches for at least two months. The orthopaedic oncologist has also recommended resuming Zometa, a monthly bone treatment which helps strengthen the bone (I received Zometa from 2005-2007).
So far, the Cyberknife radation treatment has helped lessen my nerve pain. Amen! With one problem solved, another danger is increased. My most recent conversation with the othropaedic oncologist revealed the importance of protecting my hip joint. The peril of my current situation is the risk of fracturing my hip. If I fracture this bone I will be in serious trouble! As I shared above, a fracture would be impossible to repair (hip replacement) due to the cancerous and damaged hip bone; furthermore this would cause tremendous pain and disability. The good news: As long as I walk with crutches and keep from bearing weight on my left leg, I should be okay. Ultimately, this means I will need assistance with even simple activities. My disability places a greater burden on Sarah, please pray for her.

4 comments:

A said...

thank you for this blog and keeping us updated. we are praying for you all. what a testimony of God's goodness and grace you have been to not only us, but others as well. you all are a true blessing and we love you guys.

love,
greg, allison, josie & josiah

Andy and Alli said...

hey bud - I've been reading and just now finding time to comment. Thanks for this blog and the honesty and insight you bring.

I'm glad to hear the nerve pain has been lessened (though I imagine what still persists is not very comforting) - please let me know if there is anything I (or we) can do to help relieve some stress and burden. Do you need one last mow before fall sets in? Just shoot me an email and let me know!

-Andy

Unknown said...

You should definately make use of those ride-along shopping carts. No, not the kids playcar ones, but the ones you get to actually drive. You've earned it.

Take care.

Aaron Gaul

Mendy said...

take comfort, WHEN you get that hip replacement, you will not be the youngest! we have a great friend at our church who got his first when he was 21.

along with aaron's suggestion for the motorized shopping carts, i think you should take full advantage of getting exercise through swimming! i don't think adults swim nearly enough!

take comfort in hope, my friend
mendy

summer time

summer time
(click on image)

Hawaii

Hawaii
click on image for hawaii pics