September 4, 2008

"blessed by misfortune"

While enjoying an evening of watching the Republican National Convention (yeah, really exciting night), I was struck by a comment from presidential candidate, Senator John McCain. He said he was "blessed by misfortune" as he referred to the five and a half years he spent as a prisoner of war in Vietnam. John McCain was hitting on a profound truth which really resonated in my heart. Often times when people refer to the idea of "blessing" you often hear about having good health, an increase in material wealth, or the perfect job. Indeed, all of these things are a blessing. However, poor health, a desperate need for more money and inability to work may equally be a blessing from God. They are not a blessing because they make our lives easier rather they are a blessing because they make us more attentive to see God at work in and around us.

My battle with cancer is not a mystery with most who know me. My cancer is currently in parts of my spin, sacrum, hip, and head. The cancer in my sacrum and hip is eating away at my bones and is also interfering with the nerves in this area-this can be extremely painful. Because of this pain, I have had to visit the ER on three separate occasions since April, most recently last Friday. Now on crutches, I am even more needy. Yet, I have been "blessed by misfortune." Sarah and I have been on the receiving end of God's grace. Many friends from church and in our neighborhood have mowed our yard, provided meals, cared for Abbie, and even given us some finacial assistance. Whats more, we never had to ask for help. We experienced the very best of living in community with others. In spite of misfortune, we have been blessed. Thank you to everyone who has been a blessing to us this summer.

No comments:

summer time

summer time
(click on image)

Hawaii

Hawaii
click on image for hawaii pics